Dental Implant Aftercare Dental Implant Aftercare – Chesapeake, VA
Maintain Your New Smile for Decades to Come
One of the most incredible qualities about dental implants in Chesapeake is their longevity. Provided you take proper care of them, they have the potential to last a lifetime. But how exactly do you take good care of dental implants? Luckily, implant care is quick, easy, and uncomplicated. Here are some basic principles that we here at Estrada Dentistry recommend in order to maintain your new smile for decades to come:
Make Oral Hygiene A Priority
One of the most common reasons behind dental implant failure is an infection in the gums known as peri-implantitis. However, keeping your mouth clean can drastically reduce the chances that you’ll succumb to this form of gum disease. Make sure to do the following:
- Brush all of your teeth, including your implant restorations, at least twice a day. Take the time to clean around the gumline as well.
- Floss between your teeth and around your implant abutments at least once daily.
- Rinse with an antimicrobial mouthwash every day. This helps kill germs in your soft tissues that your toothbrush and floss can’t reach.
- Follow your dentist’s aftercare instructions to a T. We may suggest personalized at-home treatments, such as cleaning around your implants with an interdental brush or a prescription mouthwash. Diligently following these instructions can help ensure your implant lasts.
Protect Your Dental Implants
Taking precautionary measures to protect your implants (and the rest of your teeth) from damage can save your smile. You should:
- Always wear a mouthguard when you play sports. You can find them at most sporting goods stores, but customized mouthguards from our dentists can provide a more comfortable fit and better protection.
- Ask us for help if you suffer from bruxism, a condition where you involuntarily grind your teeth, especially while sleeping. We can create an appliance called a nightguard for you to wear while sleeping to prevent your top and bottom teeth from making harmful contact.
- Avoid chewing on foods like popcorn kernels, ice, and hard candies. Additionally, don’t chew on hard inedible objects like pen tips of your fingernails.
Schedule Regular Recall Visits
We highly recommend that patients with dental implants visit their dentist in Chesapeake at least twice a year, if not more often. At these appointments, we can evaluate your implants, restorations, remaining natural teeth, and gum tissue for potential problems early enough that treatment is still relatively simple and affordable. You’ll also have the opportunity to ask us any questions you may have about dental implant aftercare.
Be sure to let us know if you are experiencing any of these problems with your implants:
- Bleeding around an implant
- An implant that feels loose
- Swelling or tenderness around an implant
- Discolored or sore gum tissue surrounding an implant
At Estrada Dentistry, we are more than happy to help you with whatever you need to achieve your healthiest and most beautiful smile. We are well-qualified to place and restore dental implants in Chesapeake and even save a malfunctioning implant whenever we can. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you suspect you have a problem with your implant.